HOME     ABOUT VEGA     VEGA NEWS     NEWSLETTER    LINKS      SUPPORT US      CONTACT  
    INTERESTS     ANIMAL WELFARE     RECIPES     PORTFOLIO     YOUTH PAGE  
   VEGETARIAN ECONOMY & GREEN AGRICULTURE
HOME > NEWS ARCHIVE > NEWS ITEM

VEGA News Item

 
Food alert - Fly agaric mushrooms - 24/07/2006
 
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) is advising people not to eat raw or dried fly agaric mushrooms, because there have been cases reported of severe reactions. These mushrooms may also be labelled as ibotenic acid/muscimol.
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) is advising people not to eat raw or dried fly agaric mushrooms, because there have been cases reported of severe reactions. These mushrooms may also be labelled as ibotenic acid/muscimol.



The FSA has been made aware that these mushrooms are being sold in some small retail outlets. From the evidence available, severe reactions to eating these mushrooms seem to be very rare, but there have been cases of children having convulsions.

The main poisonous substance found in these mushrooms is called ibotenic acid, which is changed into a stronger poison called muscimol in the body.

These mushroms are subject to Food Law. It is an offence under Food Law to sell food that is unsafe.

Click here for further info.  
 
 

Registered Charity No. 1045293
© VEGA - 2008